Tuesday, January 26, 2010

What is it really like having a Nanny


Well, Rhumpa is not quite a nanny but she may as well be...and....it's fantastic! Rhumpa is a Teachers Aid at the kids pre-school. She is just a lovely lady who adores the kids. it is so nice to watch the relationship unfold. My expectations of a baby sitter are not all that high as far as the normal stuff goes. I expect them to know basic first aid, actually like children and to be responsible. Rhumpa exceeds this at every level! Added bonus...the children adore her! Nick being away this week we decided that a little bit of help would not go astray and at the princely sum of $3 an hour (no that is not a typo!) we hired Rhumpa from 3 until 7pm every night. We have gotten into a lovely routine so far. The kids, or usually just Scarlett mostly, will have a sleep from 12.30pm till 2ish. We then just kick back and watch Dora (kids obsessed). Rhumpa arrives at 3 which is when I make my escape to the gym. I leave her some money and she takes the kids to "Le Jardin", a local restaurant that has as close to PP has to a play area. She plays with them and gets them an ice-cream. They spend a couple of hours just playing. I could learn a lot from this woman. Sometimes I feel so busy that I forget the art of play. Rhumpa has it down pat. She is in the couch cushion tunnel, she is singing the songs...she is kinda the mum I wish i was! (and I am learning). She then brings them home and helps me to bath them and give them dinner. She is almost like a husband but kinda more useful, in a nice way Nick! That being said, it is kind of weird having someone in your house. She goes to do the dishes from the children's dinner and I want to say "no" but the princely some of $3 is apparently enough to stop me. The other concern is the attachment from the kids. I think this is probably more my issue than theirs as I have learnt that they are more adaptable than I think. I really feel that she cares for my children with her heart and not her wallet. This makes it so much easier when I have to leave for what I call a well earned break. Does not feel 100% but almost! I will miss her for so many reason when we leave. Not for the obvious. She is a wonderful woman who tears up already when I talk about us leaving. Bring out the tissues that day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment